Preparing for Pilgrimage: 87 days to beginning the Camino


Global Orb by James Fissel, from Mystery Revealed - www.eyekons.com

Bernard Christiansen summarizes the habits of the pilgrim, “An earnest desire for spiritual instruction, a continuing hidden life of prayer, simplicity of life and honesty of speech, brotherliness and helpfulness toward all whom we meet, sincere participation in the life of the church, faith and divine guidance along life's way" (The Inward Pilgrimage: An Introduction to Christian Spiritual Classics)

In the classic Russian text, The Way of the Pilgrim, the anonymous Russian pilgrim seeks to understand prayer. His sage explains that prayer is the secret of pilgrimage, indeed the secret of life. The pilgrim is invited to pray the Jesus’ prayer, “Lord, Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.” This ancient Hesychast prayer is tied to our very breathe. The pilgrim breathes prayer in-and-out for not simply moments but hours. This prayer finds a home in him during his homeless wandering - it is his breath and it situates him with people, who request prayer, offer hospitality, but also place him in danger (you can read the story to understand how this happens).

The prayer, and its ancient Eastern tradition, expect a movement: kenosis, illumination, theosis. The pilgrim way unfolds this quite beautifully. This movement of generosity, discipline, and union come through the way of the pilgrim. Already, I am wondering, when I wander on the Camino, how will this movement and these virtues/habits find home in me? How will these shape how I wander upon returning home? How will these stages unfold in me while away and how will they find rest in me as I return? I cannot help but think of Sommersby (Martin Guerre), for both leaving and returning will disallow me and those I encounter to remain the same. The way of a pilgrim is a way of change; this may not feel comfortable but I do pray it feels Christ.

I find myself preparing for pilgrimage but have yet to identify as a pilgrim. I haven’t started walking yet (However, I am writing this at my computer with my Camino shoes on - I just purchased them today). I wonder if these habits and virtues identified by Christensen are discovered on the way of walking rather than trying to cultivate them before one begins to wander?

I have no idea how pilgrimage works; I haven’t done so yet. Part of me feels compelled to understand prior to departing, yet the other part of me believes one begins to learn by walking. I continue to call and connect with pilgrims who have wandered, and there is much to learn from them.  Yet even so, how do pilgrims help one become a pilgrim - how might I seek to understand prior to departing? Have pilgrims remembered the ways of their thinking and being and feeling that lived prior to their walking? Can pilgrims, once having wandered, return to their memories clearly or does wandering form one anew where the original memories of not being a pilgrim are lost?  I will be amazed to reread my writing prior to my journey once I return home from it. 


I begin sabbatical on July 1, 2018. Part of my sabbatical is pilgrimage as leadership discernment. I will say more later about why I am doing this in relationship to my role at WTS. However, between now and July 23, when I begin my first steps, I will blog weekly about my preparations, whether spiritual or physical.

I am walking the Camino in Spain. I will do the Way of Francis for 33 days. the first 23 days I will be alone, and the final ten days will be visited by three close friends. I covet your prayers and invite you to join me as a reader and friend. Welcome back to Pilgrims' Home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving, Healing, and Times of Transition

Returning to the ECC

Returning to the Mitten - Small Family Update