For Carter Bulgrin from FLAT CARTER


Carter,

I hope that you remember me – Flat Carter. I have had an exceptional few months of life here. I live in Sawyer, Michigan now, and I have traveled quite a bit since I last saw you. First of all, my travels and energy have increased partially due to your Uncle Kyle's green friend, Starbucks



First, I have traveled to Holland, Michigan almost everyday. This is where my friend and your uncle works. He is a teacher at WesternTheological Seminary. He teaches young women and men to be people who lead others to believe in God. Right now Holand Michigan is celebrating Tulip Time. Tulip Time is some Dutch tradition that includes a parade, people walking in wood shoes, and a celebration of the invention of the windmill. Holland has tulips everywhere!





My first weekend in Holland, I traveled to Washington, DC. I flew from Grand Rapids, Michigan through Cincinnati to Washington D.C. I was able to meet two important people. The first was Gordon Crosby and staff at Churchof the Savior, and the other was Jim Wallis. The day I met Wallis was the day his new book on the Common Good was released. I have little idea what this means, but your uncle, Kyle Small, thinks that the practice of the Common Good is really important.  He kept saying to me, “Just think how you and your friends will help the world be better citizens because of books and ideas like this!”



While I was in Washington D.C., I saw the new Martin LutherKing, Jr. memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, and the Lincoln Memorial. Wow! The beauty of each of these memorials was incredible, but as your uncle told me the stories of each of these men and the Vietnam War, I was impressed. Did you know that our country was able to end slavery because a President put his life on the line? Did you know that MLK was also assassinated for his beliefs?  These men made our country all the more wonderful for our friends and for us. We are continually learning to love one another regardless of how much money we have or what color of skin we have. I want to be like President Lincoln and MLK and your uncle someday.

   


After I left Washington DC, I returned home to Sawyer, MI. I went to a brewery where the people serve really tasty root beer and even better pretzels. I went there several times each week. I also went to worship at Harbert Community Church. This is where your Uncle Kyle talks for 20-30 minutes each week about God and God’s love for us. They sing wonderful music until this big and old instrument is used to play slow and old music. I prefer the music with the guitars and drums more than the organ. I like when Uncle Kyle talks. He tells jokes yet also tells serious stories and lessons about loving God. Your Aunt Lindsay also preaches about how much God loves us. I like the people at this church. They don’t see me as flat Carter but as wonderful Carter.

  


I apologize that I am not coming home with this letter, but I have a busy traveling schedule coming up and Uncle Kyle has agreed to take me with him. I will go to New York City in early June and Oxford (England), Amsterdam, and Paris in late June. When I return from across the pond, I plan to travel to Omaha (to see you), Crawfordsville, Indiana (for a meeting), Swanzey, New Hampshire (for camping), and San Francisco (for a meeting). This is more than 20,000 miles in one summer, but based on what I’m doing, this work is too exciting to miss.



Finally, next January I will be traveling to Orlando, Florida. I am running the Dopey Challenge with Uncle Kyle at Disneyworld. This includes 48 miles in 4 days; I am hoping that my laminated legs hold up!



I miss the Original Carter, but it is not time to come home yet. I will see you in June and next February. I will bring more photos. Until I return, enjoy the end of school. Tell your teacher that Flat Carter is LIVIN THE DREAM. Assure her that I do not have tattoos, nor have I caused trouble. Enjoy the end of school and summer. I will plan to return permanently to Omaha next spring (or what you recently call later winter!)



I love you,



Flat Carter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving, Healing, and Times of Transition

Returning to the ECC

Returning to the Mitten - Small Family Update