Learning Openness is More Difficult Than I Thought

Well....after four days of a public course (Leading CHristian Communities), I pulled its publicness. I realized that I include copyrighted material in my course, for which Western Theological Seminary seek permissions to use. Therefore, CC does not continue for me. I must, and rightly so, honor the permissions given to WTS and me. This means that the fair use of CC is void unless I pull all copyrighted material from my course (Which I am not willing to do since my students deserve access to articles).



Anyway, realizing this, I sent the following to a guru of LMS and DL (Distance Learning) education:

"Name,

I just realized one issue of making my course public: I use articles that only WTS students have permission to access, so if these are available to the public, then I am breaking ccl rules and using copyright material in a public way.... in order to do this all of my internal posts/files/content must also be cc or public domain.
Well, the process of trying true openness is showing me the obstacles to doing this well."

There is much to learn by way of openness in education in a world where adults are yet to freely share.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Returning to the Mitten - Small Family Update

Moving, Healing, and Times of Transition

Returning to the ECC