I'm Open and Learning - Open Education

I'm beginning my first MOOC (Massive Online Open Course). This is a course offered through CANVAS, a LMS or Learning Management Software. Western Theological Seminary invested in Canvas, and as a teacher, I am impressed - it is built for teachers and students. Anyway, I'm taking this online-free-notforcredit-course to boost my pedagogical and scholarly practices. I'm interested in this course for several reasons:

1.  Adult learning is self-porpelled learning. Adult learning is an under-explored aspect of learning (especially in churches), yet is essential in the rise of higher education. Adult learners need the habits and skills of self-propelled learning. Digital learning is most easily self-propelled learning under a teacher's willingness to guide and a community's willingness to share understanding.

2. I am curious about open content. I live in-between wanting to control my publications and openly distribute and share. I have written published articles and chapters, and when these printed words arrive in my mailbox I am overjoyed. The elation however is introspective, for despite the tangible content, I have no idea if anyone besides the publisher is reading/interacting. I have no idea of its importance or problems. When I publish in the e-world, whether by social networking, blogging, or online journals, I receive nothing tangible or even financial, yet I receive immediate feedback that affirms and even reinvents/reinterprets what I offered to the world. My new learning becomes more important than my superficial feelings of celebrity.



3. I have been the recipient of shared and open knowledge. My doctoral advisor sent me copies of his powerpoint presentations both to enjoy (for my teaching) but also to improve (for his own teaching). I have used and re-used these presentations, and as I compare the originals with the current editions, there is next to nothing remaining of the originals, both in content and appearance. I have now shared the presentations with students and local churches (I am a pastor), and their returns are dynamically different than was intended by this author. On my worst days, I lament the loss of my work; yet on my best days I celebrate that (my) ideas are dynamic, and the circulation of ideas - even when reinvented - are a gift to the original creator that something remains from the original artwork, albeit difficult to find. Open and Shared learning is not the future - it is now.

I will use this blog for two courses over the next months: 1) Introduction to Open Education (Twitter: #ioe13) with David Wiley offered through Canvas; 2) Leading Christian Communities offered by me at Western Theological Seminary, hosted by Canvas.

Comments

  1. i do appreciate your OPEN approach... it is indeeed a clear guide to me!

    I'm going to use the blog http://programmingteaching.blogspot.it/

    to get introduced to practical approch in computer programming teaching

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Returning to the Mitten - Small Family Update

Moving, Healing, and Times of Transition

Returning to the ECC