Crying for Another's Children

Today we, the Western Seminary Faculty, received news that one of the most brilliant minds belonging to a most hospitable heart has been diagnosed with cancer (multiple myeloma). He is not defeated in this diagnosis and neither is the Western Seminary Community. As a matter of fact, we are even more strongly rooted to the promises and laments in Scripture, and the convictions of our confession (yes, I did, as a Covenanter, include myself in the claim of a confession):


Question 1.
What is thy only comfort in life and death?
Answer.
That I with body and soul, both in life and death,
am not my own,
but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ;


Lindsay and I walked alongside a good friend two years ago who was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. We watched him survive and celebrate that he is in remission. We trust this same path now for our colleague. Yet we know that the path to remission and recovery is medically intense, physically complicated, and a great stress on a family. This latter reality presses me to tears, for he is a son, husband, and father.

I haven't cried deeply for several years...until today. I cried for my brother; I cried for our community; I cried for the academy, for we will walk the painful road through cancer recovery with him. And most of all I cried (and continue crying) for his wife and children. One never knows how the stages of life will shape, yet the entrance of children into our worlds reforms someone with incredible depth. Today, I experienced the breaking pain of considering another's children and the roads they will walk with their father and mother through these next months.

They have small children, for whom a diagnosis is a mystery, yet the months to come will physically change their daddy, and the procedures will create a physical distance necessary for healing. For this, I cannot imagine. And we weep, for children ought not need to watch their parents suffer, especially at such a young age. This is not the redemptive order.

My heart aches today in ways not before. And the ache is on behalf of another's children and for a friend who is an incredible father. I invite the few who read this to pray for our friend and colleague, to pray for Western Theological Seminary, and most importantly pray for his children and his wife.

We prayed Psalm 62 together today and invite you to join us.

For God alone my soul waits in silence,
   for my hope is from him. 
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
   my fortress; I shall not be shaken. 
On God rests my deliverance and my honour;
   my mighty rock, my refuge is in God. 


Trust in him at all times, O people;
   pour out your heart before him;
   God is a refuge for us. 


Those of low estate are but a breath,
   those of high estate are a delusion;
in the balances they go up;
   they are together lighter than a breath. 
Put no confidence in extortion,
   and set no vain hopes on robbery;
   if riches increase, do not set your heart on them. 


Once God has spoken;
   twice have I heard this:
that power belongs to God, 
   and steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord.
For you repay to all
   according to their work.

Comments

  1. Anonymous6:54 PM

    Ι know thiѕ if οff tοpic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is needed to get setup? I'm assuming havіng a blog likе
    уours would cοst a pretty penny? I'm not very internet savvy so I'm nоt 100% positive. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    My page ... make money

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Returning to the Mitten - Small Family Update

Moving, Healing, and Times of Transition

Returning to the ECC