The Spirit Speaking from My Phone


 

I think the Holy Spirit has descended into my iPhone with a very clear message. "I am not a person - look up, for the people are standing in front of you..."

Earlier this week I encountered an acquaintance on the sidewalk. He was looking down at his phone as we approached, and I kindly said, Hello friend (using his name in place of friend). He looked up and said hello and returned to his cellular-powered screen. I asked him a quick question to which he quickly looked up again and shot back an answer. I was somewhat offended, but more so convicted. How passed off I felt by his interaction with a less human device.


I returned home to recount the story to Lindsay, who graciously listened and never once said, “now you know how I feel when you have your phone in your hands.” She easily could have said that very thing. Instead, as always, she listened, and allowed me to walk myself into revelation. I said to her, “I do that to you sometimes, huh?” “Yes,” she said. And then we moved on to discuss other things.

A second recent event heightens the importance of the Spirit speaking in my phone. I was talking with my mentor (via phone) this week. He wisely asked me how I created space for Sabbath and family. I mentioned that it is sometimes hard to focus when I arrive home for many reasons, but I also mentioned that I have a hard time not looking at my phone. He stated that he shuts off his phone when he walks into his home, and he is fully present for his wife and children. He asked me if I could do the same – “no way” I said. My response was the Spirit speaking through me. The lack of ability to consider it was a Pentecostal moment where God said – “yes way.” I am still considering whether God and my friend are right.

I think the voice of God was finally received this morning. Without details, I began the day looking at my phone and did not hear a question from my family. This upset the apple cart and we needed to restart the day again. I was amazed at how easy it is to tune out the world when we are perched behind a backlit screen. What is it about “USA TODAY”, “HBR” and “Angry Birds” that whisks us away from where we are to the land of “APPville?”

I was irritated when the man on the sidewalk brushed me off. How much more irritated would I be if it weren’t a mere acquaintance but my spouse or my children or a close friend? We know phones are as much distraction as assistance, but I am finding more and more – at restaurants, church meetings, business partnerships, etc. that the phone in our hands takes precedence over the friends standing right in front of us.

I am trying something over the next month to help me reconsider God’s voice speaking in my phone. I put on my calendar for Thursday nights (when I return home from Chicago) to turn off my phone. The calendar event says, “SABBATH REST – turn off your phone and be present.” It will be there at 7:45 pm on Thursday evenings and again at 8:00 am Friday morning (lest I forget the night’s before message). If Sabbath is part of God’s desire for reconciliation – I think I want to participate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving, Healing, and Times of Transition

Returning to the ECC

Returning to the Mitten - Small Family Update