Somewhere between Life and Death

I should have realized that I would eat my words a few weeks ago. I was in the fourth month of my work as co-pastor at Harbert Community Church. I flippantly mentioned to our choir director how much I enjoyed the job, but Monday-Friday went slower than I desired. This was three weeks ago.....

As of Sunday night, I will have had two funerals, two interments, a beloved man in the hospital facing a difficult recovery, Sunday School, Worship, with a sermon, and an evening Membership Class. I want four weeks ago back....famous last words.

But I am not complaining. In officiating two funerals, I have had a chance to reflect on many things. I am not afraid of death, but I am afraid of leaving people behind. I desire to pass before I get too grumpy (though my wife might say it's too late, especially on Saturday nights). I have also recognized that despite people's criticisms of the church, in whatever form it takes, this is the place to live and die. We remember rightly. We remember to forgive, to bless, and to honor the priestly lives we live, albeit imperfectly.

I have never met either of the two women I buried this week. But I have met their families. The generations of faithfulness have been incredible. Also, the great cloud of witnesses that attended the funerals - family and friends - have appeared to share a similar faith - or at least willingness to honor the faith of the Triumphant Saints. This was enriching as we enter Advent and Christmas. I think when a saint of the church dies, their new life is entered not merely by a heavenly life, but also by the new life the living saints are called to cultivate. Death has no sting for the celebration of the resurrection is a time to remind the living saints how to live - As disciples of God in the way of Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit - iiving with compassion, mercy, kindness and forgiveness - justice simply flows out of this.

I've been reminded twice this week to live faithfully, not perfectly. May the God who raises the dead to live, revive my own life to live with your resurrection power each day.

I don't mind the chaos of the schedule now, but I will be thankful for the season of Epiphany!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving, Healing, and Times of Transition

Returning to the ECC

Returning to the Mitten - Small Family Update