Omaha is the center of the nation

We had John and Mona Norman, who come from California, over last night for Chipotle (we ordered online!). Believe it or not Chipotle was out of guac, so I made some of my own - twice the garlic, twice the onions - guaranteed heartburn! Anyway, John Norman is Janet's cousin, so we consider them like aunts and uncles. The whole second/third cousin, or cousin once-removed is too impersonal.

Anyway, Lindsay joined us late for supper since Micah needed his first. I went to relieve her and burp him, but 20 minutes into burping Micah, we both fell asleep. We finally went horizontal in the bedroom, and I woke up 3 hours later after John and Mona had already left. Some host that I am - sorry John and Mona. We were both tired.



But the report of the evening was that there was much laughter and reminscing about life. Lindsay said that they also spent time making fun of each others' parts of the country - Midwest and West Coast. Lindsay said they (actually, she) spent a few minutes picking on my home state, Nebraska, in order to elevate herself as a Minnesotan and Michiganders. Michigan celebrates the home of Gerald Ford, who was born in Omaha, and California celebrates the Gold Rush, but the Golden Spike of the railroad is in Omaha - Union Pacific...a weak connection, but I do believe Omaha is the center of the nation (and geographically, it kind of is...)...But hey, Nebraska is pretty easy to mock (I have always considered Omaha its own state) Who wants to be affiliated with Cornhusks? Anyway, I will try to move beyond taking it personally about Omaha...especially because I have a bigger perspective now (see picture below).


After I read this to my wife, she said, "oh, aren't you the bigger person." Again, I will try not to take this comment as one about my weight...I think that everything is personal because of my hormones....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Returning to the Mitten - Small Family Update

Moving, Healing, and Times of Transition

Returning to the ECC