The American in African Germany...an interesting experience

On Wednesday night, I was sitting around my Bremen house moping about how badly I wanted to go home. I have loved my time in Bremen, including my Guest family, studies and friends, but I miss my wife, my dog, my friends, my home, and my office. I could not help but wallow in self-pity. My room is only so big, so I decided to move my moping to the outside. I went for a walk with plans for dinner at my favorite restaurant in Bremen, Restaurant Rimini (Italian).

As I approached the restaurant, I decided that I should walk for a while before partaking in an Italian feast, so I headed into an unexplored neighborhood, Heimlingen. I came upon a municipal building with several people entering. In Bremen, once municipal buildings are closed, it seems as if they are vacant – no lights, no people.

Observing this rare occurrence, I decided to ask an entering woman what she was doing. She immediately grabbed my arm and said, “Komm mit mir.” Unknowingly, I found myself walking into a church service – people from Ghana, Africa gather together on Wednesday nights for prayer. This Wednesday, however, was a special night. This Wednesday was day two of a
seven-day prophecy festival. I asked the woman and the man, who was setting up the room, several times, “is it okay that I am here?” The woman replied, “Yes, yes…you sit here.”

Imagine if you will: The service starts at 8:30, but most of the people arrive between 8:00 and 8:15. Around 8:20 two women stand and start shaking a tambourine and praying; after a few minutes the prayer turns to singing and everyone joins. In a room the size of a large living room, we gathered with a trap set, bongos, and a sound system including two microphones. (Loud is an understatement). Around 8:30 a man in white pants, white coat and white shoes enters to begin the service. He is called “the music man.” After he prays, the women stand up and sing again, this time several women come forward to dance. They danced and prayed for one hour, and the man in white will often overtake the women with verbose prayers.

After the first hour I did not know what to think – I am an English speaker, studying German in Germany, and worshipping in the language of Ghana (excuse my ignorance of the name). The second hour included more singing and dancing. I joyfully clapped my hands and watched in amazement as these women authentically sang and danced.

Then the first crazy thing happened. A woman, who had earlier offered to translate when the sermon started, grabbed me by the arm and brought me forward during the music. She grabbed me by the arms and started dancing with me. We danced and prayed – it was quite unlike anything before. It harkened back to Pine Ridge, albeit without the embarrassment. I actually felt like a brother with these sisters. I was actually included and embraced.
The service started at 8:15/8:30. The preacher, excuse me, the prophet, arrived at 10:00. He preached and prayed and sang. Then he instructed us to pray – first, to bind Satan from the room, and then pray for one another, then for personal blessing, then for family. It was powerful to watch the congregation praying so loudly and intimately. They prayed loudly but individually.

When the sermon began, the woman next to me translated. He preached on 1 Corinthians regarding prophecy and speaking in tongues. If I understood correctly, he said every Christian needs a pastor to speak prophesy into their ears. Following the sermon, he did exactly that – spoke prophesy to several people, including me.

Before and after speaking prophesy to several people, we continued with the singing and dancing. At this point, women were speaking in tongues. Even more, women were filled with the Spirit. They would hop around, and then fall; others would catch them and place a “blessed blanket” around them. Their bodies would relax; they would stand again, and then they were overcome with the spirit, again. I have never experienced anything like it. At first it was beyond normal; but after some time I was actually amazed by God’s power in these women’s lives. I actually believe God’s Spirit was moving in ways I had never seen before. I’m not sure this will happen in Minnesota, but God’s power was manifest. (If you can’t believe this, I understand – rereading the paragraph might not help).

I am not sure what to do with this experience. I’m not sure if I was more amazed by bring invited, spoken to by the preacher, dancing with a congregant, or seeing women “slain in the Spirit.” When I left at 10:45 the people were still worshipping – I left with wide eyes and confusion.

May the Spirit of the Lord be upon us (even if she manifests in different ways). Amen.


Final Note: I prayed several times that this congregation would be a light in Bremen. In speaking with Bremen church officials, the future of the German Church is immigrant. May God be glorified by the immigrant witness. And may those who call Germany home embrace the immigrant as the immigrant embraced me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving, Healing, and Times of Transition

Returning to the ECC

Returning to the Mitten - Small Family Update